United Way Fresno and Madera Counties provides free tax preparation to low- to moderate-income individuals, families and seniors. Tax returns are prepared by trained and IRS certified volunteers at local community organizations. Our VITA (Volunteer Income tax Assistance) program has returned over $12,000,000 back into the hands of the Valley's neediest families. This money has the potential to pull them out of poverty and with our help, on a path to self-sufficiency.
VITA sessions begin: Saturday, February 3rd
In order to assist you effectively and efficiently, appointments are strongly encouraged.
Appoinment setting begins Wednesday, January 28th.
To book your appointment please call, 2-1-1 or 1-866-559-4211
What to Bring
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents.
- An Individual TaxPayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earnings statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filling-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their social security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health coverage Statements
- Copies of Income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Interested in Volunteering?
Anyone who is interested in…
- A career in tax accounting or related financial service
- Knowing how to file a tax return or Volunteering
Volunteers will gain practical knowledge and make a measurable economic impact on our local community.
Returning volunteers will have opportunities for leadership.
Please contact VITA Coordinator, Esmeralda Rangel at 559-243-3686 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.